[mythtv-users] OT: When is Rogers killing analog cable

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Fri Sep 11 02:27:05 UTC 2009

Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> I doubt it's CRTC mandated (certainly not for cable since they don't own the
> spectrum)...it's more a  $ decision by rogers.
>

>> t is not Rogers per se; it is the CRTC. Analogue broadcast ends Aug
>> 31, 2011. You can acquire a digital box reasonably cheaply these days
>> which will have s-video outputs. I use this today with a PVR-500 and I
>> use firewire to do my channel changing on the digital box.

Well actually the CRTC is mandating OTA analogue just as in the US.

You can also see this FAQ at:
http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc.nsf/eng/ca02336.html

As I recall Cable providers have to provide certain basic analogue
channels in their basic service but I don't believe they have to carry
them in anlogue form. That is they can carry them digitally and then
convert to analogue at a set top box. I haven't read these regs so I am
not truly certain of what they can and can not do.

I don't believe it is so much a money issue as much as it is a recovery
of spectrum to add digital channels.

This is as much as I know on the subject.