[mythtv-users] Cost of running devices 24/7

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 00:51:23 UTC 2009

>> <OT> The reason for the thought process, I'm trying to figure out what my
>> options are for photo and video sharing with family and backup. 1. I could
>> poke a hole through the firewall and share them via my mythbackend...but I
>> don't usually worry about security as a whole on that box...
>> 2. Try to find an uber efficient computer to serve up a web page and act
>> as a local file server for that media.
>> 3. Pay to use sharing services.  I haven't found any free services that
>> offer unlimited storage for this media, and yet allow others to download
>> full res content.  Currently I use google picasaweb due to its easy
>> integration with picasa, but I'm constantly having to cycle through and
>> delete albums due to a 1GB limit.
>> </OT>

I recently tested out Wuala. They let you trade local disk space for
space in the cloud. I gave them 100 GB of local disk space (they only
actually use about 18 GB of it) that they use to store encrypted
backups of chunks of data off of their servers. Your online space is a
multiple of the local space you share times the percentage of uptime.
You can also limit the amount of bandwidth that they are allowed to
use. They also have Windows, Mac, and Linux clients. You can give out
online links to any of the files/folders you have stored in your
account. It is still beta software, but I have been pleased to be able
backup about 60 GB of my irreplaceable photos, etc. to an off site
location.  It is free except for the local disc space you donate.