[mythtv-users] Cost of running devices 24/7

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Thu Sep 10 22:04:58 UTC 2009

Mark Wormgoor wrote:

> It all depends on what you need it for. The mythbackend you can shut
> down and have it wake up for recordings so it doesn't need to be up
> all the time. It's often quite heavy (read: expensive in power use) to
> run 24/7. Instead, there's plenty of NAS's out there with custom
> firmware that will allow you to run LAMP on them. You can even hook up
> your printers to these. They often consume as little as 10-15Ws and
> even have standby modes going under 10 (excluding disk power usage
> that is).
My solution was to combine all my devices onto one server with power
saving functionality.  If you have a myth box that powers down, then you
can't serve files.  NAS's only come with one drive typically.  My server
has photos, music, myth, asterisk, file serving, home automation, etc.
Pretty hard to power down and still meet that functionality, with
on-demand usage.  I have like 4Tb online.
Just a data point.