[mythtv-users] How do you use the commercial skipping function?

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 00:06:13 UTC 2009

> Play the recording, go into menu, choose - notify for commercial skipping and when the notification comes on screen push the button to skip to the end of the commercial break.
>     Is there a way to make this a default for all recordings so I don't have to choose it every time I play a recording?
>
> Is anyone using other methods regularly, successfully and with high WAF?

You can set the default method in Settings -> TV Settings -> Playback
-> Commercial Skip

I personally don't use any of the auto methods. Commercial skip works
90 % of the time but when I use autoskip I find my self always
wondering if the last break was off by a little either skipping a
little earlier or coming in a little late and thus missing some small
portion of the show. I just mapped the commercial skip buttons to my
remote and we skip them when the commercial comes on. Then I can see
how much was skipped and if there is any issue I already have the
remote and can easily go back a little. Also it is helpful to limit
the maximum commercial skip to something like 5 minutes. That will
prevent you from skipping a major portion of you show when the
commercial is flagged incorrectly.