[mythtv-users] Specs and new info, video: multiple images inside frame

znoteer at hailmail.net znoteer at hailmail.net
Wed Sep 9 19:46:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 08:55 -0400, "James Crow" <james at ultratans.com>
wrote:
> znoteer at hailmail.net wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm just setting up my first mythtv box using
> > mythbuntu 9.04.  I'm having trouble with the
> > video.  Inside the main window are smaller
> > copies of the main window, tiled side by side.
> >
> > The top half of the frame has two side by
> > side image tiles.  Immediately below this,
> > and occupying another quarter of the screen,
> > are two rows of four copies of the main image.
> > The bottom row of these two is in reverse
> > video.  This leaves only the bottom quarter of
> > the screen that isn't garbled by these smaller
> > copies of the picture.
> >
> > My googling didn't turn up anything.  However,
> > that might be because I couldn't think up any
> > nice succinct search terms.  All I could come
> > up with was long description of the problem.
> >
> > Anyway, if anyone can tell me how to fix this
> > or at least where to look, that would be
> > greatly appreciated.

> > |       /\         /|\        /\        |
> > |      /  \       / | \      /  \       |
> > |     /____\     /  |  \    /____\      |
> > |    /      \   /   |   \  /      \     |
> > |   /        \ /    |    \/        \    |
> > |_____________/_____|_____\_____________|
> > |        |   /      |      \ |          |
> > |   A    |  /-A----------A--\|    A     |
> > |________|_/________|________|\_________|
> > |        |/         |        | \        |
> > |   A    /    A     |    A   |  \ A     |
> > |_______/|__________|________|___\______|
> > |      /                          \     |
> > |     /                            \    |
> > |_______________________________________|
> >
> > My apologies to ascii artists and those not
> > viewing this with a monospaced font.  The
> > proportions aren't exactly right, but I
> > hope this at least makes things clearer.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Dave
> >
> Dave,
>
>   I don't have any idea what the problem might be, but you may get more
> answers if you include more info about your system. Some specifics that
> come to mind are the type of tuners you use and the type of connection
> to your TV.

Yes, I realized after I had shut my computer down for the
night that I should have described my hardware.  Sorry. Oh
well, this way, I'm not replying to my own post:)

But first, the new information.  I only just yesterday
got sound working, so tried watching a dvd after posting
the problem last night.  The dvd shows previews before
dumping the viewer into the main dvd menu.  The previews
all played as above.  However, as soon as the dvd menu
comes up, the picture is beautiful and continued so
throughout the movie.  In the bonus material, there is
an option for previews selecting this, the display get
all broken up again as above.

# lshw
(...)
  *-core
       product: P4VP-MX
       vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
       physical id: 0
       version: Rev 1.xx
       serial: MB-1234567890
       slot: USB1
     *-firmware
(this is after a flash upgrade to the
newest stable BIOS I could find on the
ASUS sight.  Watch TV locked up the
machine hard before the flash upgrade.)
          vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
          physical id: 0
          version: 1013.001 (08/26/2005)
          size: 64KiB
          capacity: 320KiB
          capabilities: isa pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing escd cdboot
          bootselect
     *-cpu
          product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 4
          bus info: cpu at 0
          version: 15.3.4
          serial: 0000-0F34-0000-0000-0000-0000
          slot: CPU 1
          size: 2800MHz
          capacity: 3066MHz
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 133MHz
          capabilities: boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae
          mce cx8
          configuration: id=0
(...)
        *-pci
             product: VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
             vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
             physical id: 1
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:01.0
             version: 00
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 66MHz
             capabilities: pci pm bus_master cap_list
           *-display UNCLAIMED
                product: VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]
                vendor: S3 Inc.
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci at 0000:01:00.0
                version: 00
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 66MHz
                capabilities: pm agp agp-2.0 bus_master cap_list
                configuration: latency=64 maxlatency=255 mingnt=4
(...)
        *-multimedia:1
             product: iTVC15 MPEG-2 Encoder
             vendor: Internext Compression Inc
             physical id: b
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:0b.0
             version: 01
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ivtv latency=64 maxlatency=8
             mingnt=128 modul

# lspci -v
(...) (this is a PVR-350)
00:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15
MPEG-2 Enc
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. Device 4000
        Memory at dc000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
        Kernel driver in use: ivtv
        Kernel modules: ivtv

(...)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8
KM266/KL266]
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 807b
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
        Memory at ff980000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Memory at c8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Expansion ROM at ff970000 [disabled] [size=64K]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
        Capabilities: [80] AGP version 2.0
        Kernel modules: savagefb

At the moment this problem is on monitor.  I haven't
yet been able to get the output to TV working.

Hope this helps generate some ideas.

Cheers,
Dave

  znoteer at hailmail.net