[mythtv-users] Why did you pick MythTV VS the other PVRs?

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Tue Sep 8 00:48:21 UTC 2009

* Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> [2009 Sep 07 13:09 -0500]:
> Mark Parsons wrote:
>>
>> My primary driver was that there is no way in this lifetime (or any
>> subsequent reincarnations) that I will ever give any of my money to Sky
>> TV - having received the worst level of customer service from them,
>> including being called a liar by their support line - which meant that
>> we were never going to have Sky+
>>
>> Not sure how I found out about MythTV, but I remember reading through
>> the feature list and screenshots on the wiki and just thinking "Wooo -
>> I need one of those" and the rest, as they say, is history.
>>
>> Yes, the features you've pointed out are also pretty important, but
>> they're not what started me down this dark path :)
>>
> The thing that turned me forever off Sky was their insistence that their
> box be permanently plugged into my phone line. Over my dead body, as they
> say. Subsequently, I've not been impressed by their pricing policies,
> either. </rant>

So, when you decide you no longer need the landline, are they going to
provide one free of charge?  What if a person doesn't have a landline
in the first place?  What if it's nigh to impossible to run a line from
the telco entrance to the TV?

DirecTV yammers on continuously about a phone line.  I've not had one
hooked up for four and a half years.  I wonder how many poor souls keep
paying for a landline just because the satellite TV provider "requires"
one?

- Nate >