[mythtv-users] MythBuntu 9.04 installation only boots to "grub>"???

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 23:49:31 UTC 2009

I did a test install to a 15GB disk with these partitions:
/boot          98M    /dev/sdb1 (Primary)
/          11,852M    /dev/sdb5 (Logical)
swap     2,048M    /dev/sdb6 (Logical)
/var       1,019M    /dev/sdb7 (Logical)

and I could boot it up and work with it.

Now I have built a system on a 40GB disk with these partitions on an
otherwise unchange system:
/boot         98M   /dev/sdb1 (Primary)
/         35,821M   /dev/sdb5 (Logical)
swap    2,048M   /dev/sdb6 (Logical)
/var      2,048M   /dev/sdb7 (Logical)

and this time, it will only boot to a "grub>" prompt.

I have mounted /dev/sdb1 from the live MythBuntu 9.04 cd environment
and it looks okay to me...

I haven't a clue what makes this second system disk not boot.

(FWIW, this is a PATA disk and this system likes to list the SATA disk
first, as /dev/sda.  The SATA disk is where /video/recordings
resides.)

Am I dealing with a partition size limitation of some kind?  If so,
how do I partition this up to get a usable system without wasting disk
space?

Any help at all would be welcome.

Craig.