[mythtv-users] most energy efficient myth frontend?

Gavin Peters gavin at ytz.ca
Sat Sep 5 22:16:37 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 12:33:23PM -0700, Yan Seiner wrote:

> I tend to go places where there are no hookups.  My last RV had dual
> T135 batteries, and the entertainment system was the single largest
> power user.  Given the 9 A @ 12VDC consumption, I had about 7 hours
> before the batteries died.  And once the batteries died, no heat, no
> fridge.  So the energy budget is critical.  This one has smaller
> batteries but a generator.  I don't like the noise the genset makes, so
> I'm trying to minimize the consumption.  I figure with new stuff, I can
> get to about half of my previous budget; I'd like to get to a third.

I'm a yachtsman, so I'm very sympathetic to your plight.  But I'd lke
to suggest you consider a larger battery bank; 9A * 7h is just 63AH.
Surely in a motor vehicle you can carry and charge say 4 group 27
batteries, and with a 400AH battery bank you could support this
discharge for much longer?

With a good multistage charger, you could keep your genset use to a
minimum.

I use two group 27 batteries in my sailing yacht; they are more than
up to discharging more than 63AH without significant harm.

- Gavin