[mythtv-users] DVB-S: lost ability to record multiple channels

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 16:17:08 UTC 2009

On 04/09/2009, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists at xunil.at> wrote:
> Nick Morrott schrieb:
>
>  > Don't give up!
>
>  phew, ok ;-)
>

>  > Are you doing both a DVB-S scan using MythTV's channel scanner, and
>  > also configuring your grabber through mythtv-setup on the video source
>  > page?
>

> That was an intermediate step, yes.
>
>  Another config was to only have a EIT-only-source in mythtv (mythtv not
>  knowing about the external grabber) and running the grabber "manually"
>  outside, then doing a "mythfilldatabase --file ...".
>
>  But I assume that would cause the same conflicts ... ?

Running the grabber manually (which is what I still do when mixing EIT
and XMLTV) still requires the channels in the MythTV database to have
XMLTV IDs assigned to them.

>  > If you are, this could be causing the problem you are having. It is
>  > possible that the channel scanner is configuring one set of channels
>  > (that *are* tunenable, but don't have XMLTV IDs) and then the
>  > configuration of the XMLTV grabber though MythTV is creating another
>  > set of channels (that are *not* tuneable, but do have XMLTV IDs).
>

> I still haven't fully understood the "--update" option for
>  mythfilldatabase, btw.

When you have configured your channels with XMLTV IDs, you can run
mythfilldatabase --update to update listings data and not affect your
channel configuration. It is also how I run MFDB manually.

>  I somehow assumed such conflicts triggered, yes ... especially when
>  editing the channels I noticed many duplicates etc.

I haven't manually configured an XMLTV grabber within MythTV for a
long time, but it always used to create new channel entries for each
XMLTV channel you configure.

<cut>

>  btw I still have the issue that tv_grab_eu_epgdata doesn't deliver
>  correct output ... as mentioned in another thread here I reported a bug
>  to gentoo.org already.

Check for differences in the Perl libraries the grabber uses,
especially libwwwperl. This has caused a problem with another grabber
recently. Also, as this is a paid service you could contact epgdata
directly to see whether there is an ongoing issue with the service.

<cut>

>  ps: is there a way to "speed up" getting eit-data in or is that just a
>  question of "just wait for it" ?

I always ensure that only the channels I want EIT listings for are
visible in MythTV, as this will restrict EIT scanning to their
multiplexes. Other than that, it's really a case of waiting - with
active EIT scanning it's going on in the background so you'll get it
when it's received.

Cheers,
Nick

--