[mythtv-users] DVB-S: lost ability to record multiple channels

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Fri Sep 4 15:44:15 UTC 2009

Nick Morrott schrieb:

> Don't give up!

phew, ok ;-)

> Are you doing both a DVB-S scan using MythTV's channel scanner, and
> also configuring your grabber through mythtv-setup on the video source
> page?

That was an intermediate step, yes.

Another config was to only have a EIT-only-source in mythtv (mythtv not
knowing about the external grabber) and running the grabber "manually"
outside, then doing a "mythfilldatabase --file ...".

But I assume that would cause the same conflicts ... ?

> If you are, this could be causing the problem you are having. It is
> possible that the channel scanner is configuring one set of channels
> (that *are* tunenable, but don't have XMLTV IDs) and then the
> configuration of the XMLTV grabber though MythTV is creating another
> set of channels (that are *not* tuneable, but do have XMLTV IDs).

I still haven't fully understood the "--update" option for
mythfilldatabase, btw.

I somehow assumed such conflicts triggered, yes ... especially when
editing the channels I noticed many duplicates etc.

> Here's a more time-consuming setup method (based on MythTV trunk) to
> use when you want to configure EIT and XMLTV listings at the same
> time:
>
> 1) Configure the XMLTV grabber from the command line, selecting the
> channels you want listings for. A config file will be created (check
> ~/.xmltv/tv_grab_eu_epgdata.conf).
> 2) Run mythtv-setup and select the video sources page
> 3) Choose "(Delete All video sources)"
> 4) Create a new video source (call it "dvbs", this is important for a
> later step)
> 5 Select the eu_epgdata XMLTV grabber as the listings grabber, but *do
> not* configure the grabber. Check the "Perform EIT Scan" checkbox.
> 6) Navigate back to the main menu, and select the Input Connections page
> 7) Select the DVBInput you want to configure, and on the next page,
> associate it with the video source you created above.
> 8) Disable quick tuning, set the other options (unencrypted/audio
> channels) to your preferece.
> 9) Select the "Scan for channels" button, and carry out a DVB-S scan.
> The starting channel for the input will be set automatically, as will
> the Input Group. Do not set an Input Priority on the "Interactions
> between inputs" page.
> 10) Open the Channel Editor, and in another window, open nthe XMLTV
> config file you created above.
> 11) Navigate the list of channels in the Channel Editor, and for each
> channel you want to use XMLTV listings for, edit the channel. Insert
> the XMLTV ID into the "XMLTV ID:" field, and disable the "Use on air
> guide" checkbox.
> 12) When you have configured all of these channels (it can take some
> time...), close mythtv-setup
> 13) copy the XMLTV config file created above to ~/.mythtv/dvbs.xmltv
> 14) run mythfilldatabase - you should now get listings for all
> XMLTV-configured channels, and your DVB-S channels should still all be
> tuneable.
>
> Work is being done to allow most of these steps from being eliminated,
> so in the future it won't be so hard.

phew ... quite some task again. I will give it a try, but maybe it will
take me until weekend to be able to report back.

Thanks for the howto ...

btw I still have the issue that tv_grab_eu_epgdata doesn't deliver
correct output ... as mentioned in another thread here I reported a bug
to gentoo.org already.

So currently I can only run the grabber on another box ...

> When you have configured your channels with XMLTV IDs, you might find
> it useful to export a copy of your "channel" table from the MythTV
> database so you have a list of the connection between callsign and
> serviceid (from the DVB-S scan) and xmltvid (from the grabber). You
> can then create a script to automatically update the XMLTV IDs based
> on the service id and/or callsign if you ever need to rescan or start
> from scratch again.

I will read through this as soon as possible, thank you!

Right now I am somehow happy to have a somewhat working system up again,
as there are some recordings I would prefer not to miss this evening.

Greetings, thanks for the support, Stefan

ps: is there a way to "speed up" getting eit-data in or is that just a
question of "just wait for it" ?