[mythtv-users] DVB-S: lost ability to record multiple channels

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 15:13:46 UTC 2009

On 04/09/2009, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists at xunil.at> wrote:

>  The good thing: multirec seems to work now at last.
>  Maybe even since yesterday but now it seems reliable.

Good.

>  I checked it now by watching Live TV, triggering recordings via mythweb,
>  seems to work now ...
>
>  The main suspect here still is the epgdata I grabbed via external
>  xmltv-script tv_grab_eu_epgdata.
>
>  Somehow I have the impression that adding these infos scrambles
>  *something* in the channel setup, leading to incorrect senders or something.
>
>  Right now I have EIT-only and things work OK so far.
>
>  So basically I am where I was before subscribing to epgdata.com ... for
>  sure I will continue to debug things ...
>
>  Thanks all so far, a tired Stefan

Don't give up!

Are you doing both a DVB-S scan using MythTV's channel scanner, and
also configuring your grabber through mythtv-setup on the video source
page?

If you are, this could be causing the problem you are having. It is
possible that the channel scanner is configuring one set of channels
(that *are* tunenable, but don't have XMLTV IDs) and then the
configuration of the XMLTV grabber though MythTV is creating another
set of channels (that are *not* tuneable, but do have XMLTV IDs).

Here's a more time-consuming setup method (based on MythTV trunk) to
use when you want to configure EIT and XMLTV listings at the same
time:

1) Configure the XMLTV grabber from the command line, selecting the
channels you want listings for. A config file will be created (check
~/.xmltv/tv_grab_eu_epgdata.conf).
2) Run mythtv-setup and select the video sources page
3) Choose "(Delete All video sources)"
4) Create a new video source (call it "dvbs", this is important for a
later step)
5 Select the eu_epgdata XMLTV grabber as the listings grabber, but *do
not* configure the grabber. Check the "Perform EIT Scan" checkbox.
6) Navigate back to the main menu, and select the Input Connections page
7) Select the DVBInput you want to configure, and on the next page,
associate it with the video source you created above.
8) Disable quick tuning, set the other options (unencrypted/audio
channels) to your preferece.
9) Select the "Scan for channels" button, and carry out a DVB-S scan.
The starting channel for the input will be set automatically, as will
the Input Group. Do not set an Input Priority on the "Interactions
between inputs" page.
10) Open the Channel Editor, and in another window, open nthe XMLTV
config file you created above.
11) Navigate the list of channels in the Channel Editor, and for each
channel you want to use XMLTV listings for, edit the channel. Insert
the XMLTV ID into the "XMLTV ID:" field, and disable the "Use on air
guide" checkbox.
12) When you have configured all of these channels (it can take some
time...), close mythtv-setup
13) copy the XMLTV config file created above to ~/.mythtv/dvbs.xmltv
14) run mythfilldatabase - you should now get listings for all
XMLTV-configured channels, and your DVB-S channels should still all be
tuneable.

Work is being done to allow most of these steps from being eliminated,
so in the future it won't be so hard.

When you have configured your channels with XMLTV IDs, you might find
it useful to export a copy of your "channel" table from the MythTV
database so you have a list of the connection between callsign and
serviceid (from the DVB-S scan) and xmltvid (from the grabber). You
can then create a script to automatically update the XMLTV IDs based
on the service id and/or callsign if you ever need to rescan or start
from scratch again.

Cheers,
Nick

--