[mythtv-users] What processor?

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 15:02:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:33 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Tom<listmail at athenet.net> wrote:
> > For someone planning to build a myth box for the first time, what
> processor
> > should one use, assuming one wants to built a fairly robust combination
> > FE/BE with going significantly into the overkill range? I want to have
> > plenty of horsepower for new developments in MythTV, but hey, I'm not
> going
> > to play games on it that demand extreme overclocking and liquid cooling
> and
> > dual $500 video cards.
> >
> > I have an HD HomeRun on order from the jungle bookseller, but still in
> the
> > planning stages for the rest of it. I'm planning on using Mythdora. For
> the
> > moment, I need s-video output to the TV, but later it will be HDMI when I
> > join the real world and get a decent TV.
> >

> I would look at the Athlon 250. This CPU has a 6.8W idle power
> according to the following review:
>

> http://www.lostcircuits.com/mambo//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=59&Itemid=42&limit=1&limitstart=6
>
> It also is way, way more powerful than an Atom cpu and will serve well
> as for a combined frontend / backend machine for HD. I would combine
> that with a Gigabyte or ASUS AM3 motherboard and 2GB or 4GB of
> Corsair, OCZ or GSkill DDR2 ram (get a twin pack). Also for HD I would
> get a nVidia 8400 or better fanless card. Pair that with a WD green
> 1TB or 2TB hard drive.

In order to keep power consumption low, is there a AM3 motherboard with
integrated video capable of running VDPAU decently? I don't believe I need
the greatest deinterlacing.  Nvidia-based AM3 boards seem to be hard to come
by since AMD+ATI merged.  A cheap AM3 motherboard is around $70-$90, but
comes with ATI graphics.  I could add a 9500GT add-in card, but who knows
what the total power footprint would be.

/Brian/