[mythtv-users] Virtualisation in the home network – ready for mainstream?

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Thu Sep 3 23:34:01 UTC 2009

On 04/09/2009, at 1:50 AM, David Schlenk <mythtv at schdav.org> wrote:

> Intel:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Core_2_Chipsets
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Nehalem_Chipsets
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization#Intel_Virtualization_Technology_for_x86_.28Intel_VT-x.29
>
> AMD:
> Yes unless it is old or is particularly cheap Sempron. Budget virt
> boxes is pretty much the only place AMD wins over Intel right now, as
> Intel uses it to segment their market.

Judging by intel's CPU comparison (ark.intel.com/vtlist.aspx) if I
want to go quad core with VT-x, I'm looking at a core 2 8400 (~AU$230)
or one of the 9xxx aeries. Is there much difference other than cache
size and speed?

The AMD Phenom II 810 is around the same price as the 8400.

The intel chips won't have VT-d. I can't tell if AMDs Iommu is a
function of the CPU, the chipsets or both. Should I care?

Cheers,

Jon