[mythtv-users] nvidia 9400 [rev b1] / Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H: video driver failures

ben sub at benomatic.org
Thu Sep 3 10:25:33 UTC 2009

this week I bought the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H mainboard, which has the
nvidia 9400 integrated video.  Despite having looked around to see if
it was working for people, it doesn't work for me.  The nvidia
released drivers don't appear to support this particular hardware
revision.  From lspci, I get:

  02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9400 (rev b1)

or w/ -n:

  02:00.0 0300: 10de:086a (rev b1)

Neither the current release, nor the current beta claim to support the
"086a" revision:

  http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/185.18.36/README/appendix-a.html
  http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/190.18/README/appendix-a.html

With nouveau I can get the basic X driver to work, but when doing live
TV playback, the OSD flicks onto the screen periodically (kubuntu
9.04-jaunty w/ 0.21-fixes).  According to sphery on #mythtv-users,
this is likely to be a video driver problem.

So... 2 questions:

- do other owners of this motherboard, for whom everything works, have
a different revision?
- other suggestions on how to proceed, short of buying a separate GPU card

Thanks,

ben