[mythtv-users] Virtualisation in the home network – ready for mainstream?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 3 04:23:11 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 02 September 2009 21:40:30 Jake wrote:
> just as an added datapoint i'm using virtualbox on my laptop with no
> problem and no hw virt.  cpu is Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU        520
> @ 1.60GHz and the machine has only 1 gig of ram but i've used it to
> watch netflix instant watch and regularly use for some light gaming.
> never had a problem and at least in debian if i upgrade the kernel it
> just requires a dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox to rebuild the modules.

Just re-running the setup script updates everything, or at least used to, I'm
not sure if they updated the 2.2.x-to-3.x.x upgrade path.

How are you running Netflix?

I'm running PlayON in an XP VM, on a fairly beefy machine.

I know about the XBox solution, and the $99 Roku player, is there another
method?

The $99 Roku box is an attractive price, but it means another input to switch.
Some method integrated with Myth would of course be the best solution.

Used Xboxes are pretty cheap, but the idea of a monthly payment to MS would
stop me from going that route, plus they pull a lot of AC power needlessly.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org