[mythtv-users] Virtualisation in the home network – ready for mainstream?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 3 02:58:23 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 02 September 2009 19:48:23 David Brodbeck wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > Intel's nomenclature is horrible, I often see "dual core Pentium"
> > machines on offer, which of course are not core 2 duos. It's like they
> > purposely confused the nomenclature so they could sell old crap to
> > unknowing buyers.
>
> The best course with Intel is to skip all the marketing-speak and look
> up the actual part number.  They're confusing, too -- beware the
> differences between L, E, and X chips with the same numbers -- but at
> least they don't depend on who was writing the ad copy.
>
> > AMD is not as bad at naming things, though even they are getting worse.
>
> What always bugged me about AMD was how coy they were about telling you
> the clock speed.

You mean the "Name it for what we think is the equivalent Intel(R) chip, then
deny that's what we're doing" theory?

I think that was mainly back during the Clock Speed Wars and in the middle of
the "Race for 4Ghz.". Things have got a bit saner now, though now they tend
to try and confuse you about power consumption numbers.

AMD clock speeds are pretty well known now, at least the Opterons.

But the cryptic core names are cool, and convey zero information, and so are a
marketing dream.

Names can be tough, did you know Bing in Chinese means "disease"?

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org