[mythtv-users] mythcommflag is pretty darn amazing

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 2 19:09:43 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 02 September 2009 13:01:33 James Orr wrote:

> I set the maximum commercial skip to 5 minutes to get rid of the occasional
> way too far jump, with that it works great for me most of the time.  The
> big exception is when there's a thunderstorm or some other weather event
> and the local channels deem it necessary to put a graphic up on the screen
> about it, that basically renders the flagging useless.

At least that's better than what I've seen: The local cable company decides to
put up a crawl reminding everyone about the City Council meeting tonight.

Actually, I suspect the City somehow has control of such interuptions,
probably by some franchise requirement.

But it is annoying.

Great idea, tell 30,000 poeple about something that's of interest to perhaps a
dozen of them. At least an impending storm is probably of more general
interest.

Or when cable networks bog down in negotiations with a cable or satellite
company. I watched something last night that had a crawl teling all T/W
subscribers to "call your cable company", all this over something that was
resolved months ago. This was on 18 or so channels (Viacom I think).

I suppose if you are watching an old recording and see a crawl telling you
about emergency routes out of the City it might be of at least historical
interest :-)

Ah the problems of life with a DVR:-)

--
Brian Wood