[mythtv-users] PS3 and Mythtv

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 1 21:58:21 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 01 September 2009 15:50:32 Jarod Wilson wrote:

> > I have played digital files from an NFS mount on the PS3 running
> > YellowDog
> > Linux using mplayer, but that's not a fair comparison.
>
> Hah, yeah, that doesn't count. Its a (stupid) limitation of the PS3's
> Game OS.

Probably to try and stop people from playing "shared" files, more or less like
a lot of Windows apps won't play network-mounted files.

It doesn't have to make sense, just be mentioned by someone to an exec who
then mandated the behaviour without understanding it.

No direct access to the video hardware is what really bugs me about Linux on
the PS3. I'd guess Sony "helped" develop Linux for the PS3 to try and stop
people (those lousy Linux pirates) from getting a more video-friendly Linux
on it :-)

Not to put down TerraSoft Solutions though, they did a nice job.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org