[mythtv-users] MythBuntu 9.04 Upgrade - Now Dependency Problems

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 14:48:55 UTC 2009

> OK, here's a dumb question.  How dow I check my repositories?  How do I know
> if they're the right repositories?  If they're not, how do I disable or
> delete and add the correct repositories?

In Mythbuntu you go to your menu and choose System -> Software
Sources. On the "Ubuntu Software" tab make sure that you have the
restricted, universe, and multiverse repositories enabled. Next you
want to look at the "Third-Party Software" tab. This is where the
mythbuntu repositories should be. If there is a check by them then
they are enabled. You should click edit and make sure the distribution
is set to 'jaunty'. A safer way if you aren't sure might be to go
ahead and remove anything that you aren't sure you need from here,
including any old mythbuntu references. Then go to
http://mythbuntu.org/auto-builds and download the mythbuntu package
that will setup your repositories for you. You will just have to
choose which branch you want (e.g. .21-fixes). When that is done you
can go back into your software sources and you will see that the
proper entry for mythbuntu should be present in your third-party tab.

You can do all of this manually by editing /etc/apt/sources.list and
the files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d. If somebody gives you an apt
repository line that start with "deb" then this is where you would
paste that. After your sources are in order you need to update your
repositories like this:

sudo aptitude update

Then you can try a safe upgrade:

sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

I use aptitude rather than apt-get in situations like this because it
tends to give a little more information about what is going on and
does more to try and solve conflicts.

> Additionally, I hope my existing MythTV recordings and configuration will be
> recognized when I get things up an running.  If I reinstall mythtv database,
> will my previous data be wiped out?

You should always have a backup of your database before doing any
upgrade like this. I have my database backed up daily. Having said
that you should have no problem reinstalling mythtv-database. It will
just use what is already there, and doesn't wipe things clean on each
reinstall.