[mythtv-users] hardware questions for HD to SD playback

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Sep 1 07:30:52 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Johnny" <jarpublic at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] hardware questions for HD to SD playback

...I have some questions about how that relates to SD TV...

> 1. All the discussion about VDPAU talks about which DE-interlacers will work
> with which cards. What about interlacing? Is this process just as
> processor-intensive as de-interlacing? Is it handled by VDAPU or is it done
> by some other part of the card/driver? Is VDAPU even needed?

If you don't set up any deinterlacer in your playback profile then
would be sending an interlaced signal to you interlaced display when
playing interlaced content. So no you don't need to worry about this
case as far as processor/GPU power is concerned. Some people have some
issues getting their video card to have the right modeline to send a
proper 1080i signal to their HDTV, but this is a configuration issue
not a computation power issue.