[mythtv-users] VDPAU PCI card effectiveness?

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Sep 1 05:23:11 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Woods" <greg at gregandeva.net>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 4:57 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] VDPAU PCI card effectiveness?

On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 00:33 -0400, Phil Bridges wrote:
>  I have a Athlon 2500+ connected by an AGP FX5200 to a
> 800x600 CRT monitor over the VGA port.  I can almost play HD material,
> but not quite.  Any thoughts as to whether or not a VDPAU-enabled PCI
> nVidia card would get me up to playing HD material?

My experience says yes. I've got a lowly Celeron playing HD (both MPEG
files from an HDHomerun and H.264 files from an HD-PVR) to an SD TV
(letterboxed) using VDPAU and it works fine.

--Greg

I have a AMD2400 and PCI 9400GT and it still crashes with Display Pre-emption issues with any of the current drivers.

A second 9400GT PCI card paired with an Intel 3000 seems to work ok.

I have wondered if the AMD CPU's are not as compatible as the Intel ones with the PCI vdpau cards.

I would be interested in other peoples experiences of AMD CPU / VDPAU PCI combinations.

Alternatively the motherboard has issues (Gigabyte GA 7VRXP - was ok with a 5200) or the NVIDIA drivers still have an error that
needs remedy.  (Still seems the most likely explanation)

Beyond that I struggle for potential explanations.