[mythtv-users] Transcoding/editing recordings to 720p/AC3 .mkv/.avi format

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Tue Sep 1 04:31:00 UTC 2009

Hi all -

I've been having problems trying to transcode recordings.

Forgive me if these questions are overly simplistic, but I've been all
over Google and haven't found an easy answer.  I have two different types
of files I'm trying to transcode - in both cases I'd like to wind up with
720p .mkv or .avi files with AC3 5.1 audio, at approximately 700MB per
~40-45 minute "1 hour" episode after the commercials are cut out.  I don't
want to have to download torrents to get these, since I have the
high-quality source recordings already saved on my Myth backend.

(1) Regular Myth recordings.  Currently, I do NOT have auto-transcoding
enabled, but I do have commflagging set.  I still have to edit and set up
a precise cutlist - after which I wind up with an .mpg file (no longer
.nuv).  Mythtranscode wants to do DVD-resolution and .ps files - neither
of those are what I'm looking for.  Problem is, nothing else knows about
the cutlist, so I have to do the same edits in avidemux - which does a
great job with the video but b0rks the audio completely (for example, it
usually cuts video correctly but doesn't always edit out the corresponding
audio, so when I do get audio at all after the save, it's out of sync - or
I get pops and hums, and that's all the sound I get).  I think I must have
the wrong output settings (currently using x264/AC3/MKV - please tell me
if these are wrong).  Can Mythnuv2mkv handle an .mpg with a cutlist as the
input file?  If so, what are the command-line options I need to use?

(2) HD-PVR recordings which I've recorded via a little bash script (will
share if anyone's interested - changes channel on the Motorola 6200 STB,
starts/stops recording at preset times); I'm running 0.21-fixes with JYA's
VDPAU backports, so can't yet record from the HD-PVR within Myth.  These
recordings are at 720p resolution from the STB with 5.1 AC3 sound.  Same
problem with avidemux - I can edit out commercials from the video, but it
doesn't cut the audio correctly.

I know there must be a way to do these edits and wind up with the
decent-quality 720p/AC3 .mkv and .avi files I'm looking for.

Can anyone please enlighten me/send me a pointer?

Thanks in advance!
Bob