[mythtv-users] latest recommendation for VDPAU PCI card

Deyan mythtv at bektchiev.net
Sat Oct 31 20:06:19 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 1:36 AM, <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:

>    > Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:34:30 -0400
>    > From: Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net>
>
>    > You can get a 9500GT without a fan.  The one I have has a huge heatsink
>    > and keeps pretty cool. There is a 512 and 1GB version.
>
>    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187035
>    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187034

> P.S.  I note from the reviews that the 512meg card used to have a
>
> really studly heatsink, different from the 1G card (also somewhat
> studly), but apparently both cards now share a wimpier heatsink.
> May or may not be a problem.  Newegg also seems to be carrying
> both memory sizes for the same price right now, so if this card
> makes sense at all, I may go for the 1G for futureproofing.

I have the 1GB card with the smaller heatsink and it does run warm but
nothing really bad. After hours of playing 1080i with the Advanced x2
deinterlacer the top temperature I've seen is 71 degrees C and the
chip I believe is rated to be OK up to at least 90 so there is quite a
lot of room. And it idles at 52-53C.