[mythtv-users] Getting local-access stations into Schedules Direct

Robert Eden rmeden at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 31 18:04:26 UTC 2009

On 10/31/2009 3:39 AM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>     > Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:38:10 +1300
>     > From: Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>
>
>     > Option 3: ask if they have an xmltv feed, or persuade them to generate
>     > one. Smaller/community stations are sometimes more amenable to this.
>
> That's a very interesting idea.  It requires buy-in from them, but
> perhaps less than coordinating with Tribute/SD.  (I still have no
> idea if that would cost a station money or where I might find out.)
> I s'pose if they don't think they can hack it, I can write a scraper
> as a last resort.
>
>     > There are hints on writing xmltv generators on the xmltv web site.
>
> Do you mean http://wiki.xmltv.org/index.php/XMLTVFormat, or at you
> thinking of something else?
How about:  http://wiki.xmltv.org/index.php/HowtoWriteAGrabber

Feel free to post on the XMLTV-DEVEL list for advice and help.  The
first step is to contact the station and see if they can provide the
data with redistribution rights or host the data everyone could pick up.
(and XMLTV grabber could reformat it)

BTW, if you contact the station and they are willing to provide data for
redistribution data but not host it, SD or XMLTV.org could do it.

If the station won't provide a raw-data feed, and there is nothing on
the site's terms of service to exclude a scraper, write one and it can
be added to XMLTV.

SD can't merge it with the Tribune data, but applications may be able
to, or you can always use XMLTV's TV_CAT.

Robert
Schedules Direct
XMLTV