[mythtv-users] latest recommendation for VDPAU PCI card

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Oct 31 17:44:52 UTC 2009

On 10/31/2009 04:36, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>      >  Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:34:30 -0400
>      >  From: Calvin Harrigan<charriglists at bellsouth.net>
>
>      >  You can get a 9500GT without a fan.  The one I have has a huge heatsink
>      >  and keeps pretty cool. There is a 512 and 1GB version.
>
>      >  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187035
>      >  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187034
>
> These cards claim to have a PCI Express 2.0 x16 interface; an MSI
> K9N2G Neo motherboard I'm considering auditioning one in only has
> the 1.0 interface (half the speed).  None of the Newegg reviews
> talk about this; does anyone have any idea whether the speed cut
> will matter?

Think about what you'll be sending across the bus.  You're talking
compressed video at 5-30mbps that you already pulled from a much slower
PCI or PCIe x1 card.  Even if you're not using VDPAU, the most data
you're going to be sending across is 1080p60 at 3Gbps.  Even the 4GBps
of PCIe 1.0 is far beyond any usage you might see.

There have been concerns about compatibility between 1.0 and 2.0 parts,
but I've not heard of any examples of such problems.