[mythtv-users] Upgrading Ubuntu

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Sat Oct 31 17:06:04 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 11:49 -0500, Craig Huff wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 5:54 AM, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 09:42 +0000, Damian wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> Could anyone tell me the best way to go about upgrading Ubuntu? I'm
> >> in
> >> no rush.
> >
> > Normal upgrade procedure, either through update manager or through
> the
> > command line using a do-release-upgrade.
> >
> > Nothing special.
> >

> Nico-
>
> I'm guessing the OP is in the same boat I am -- my current mythbuntu
> 9.04 system is my **first** mythbuntu system

Cool, you will like it.

> , so I have no experience
> doing anything other than letting the update manager automatically
> update (or maybe I should say semi-automatically, since I try to look
> things over first in case there is something that I think might foobar
> things).

I recommend the package called apt-listchanges, it displays the
changelogs after downloading updates and asks you if you would like to
continue.

> So... Is the normal upgrade procedure to invoke the following command?
>
> % sudo apt-get do-release-upgrade

$ sudo do-release-upgrade

That's a dedicated script if you want to do it from the terminal. I even
use it on remote ssh sessions.

Otherwise use the GUI Update-Manager will propose the upgrade to 9.10 on
its top part.

> Or... Is there more to it?

Just re-enable non-ubuntu repos in your sources.list once done, they are
deactivated on upgrade.

That's it, yes. It works, it's reliable, it's easy. My MythTV system
started at 7.04 and has seen 5 upgrades without any hickups.

I have a laptop that has lived like that since Warty (even moving from
hardware to hardware). I have Debian machine that are much older than
that (less upgrades with Debian, granted, but that's the point).

That is if you are using Ubuntu repos, no weird repo, no fugly manual
stuff, weirdo scripts a la automatix, etc... Stay within software
sources that are part of the Ubuntu processs.

Medibuntu and PPAs are usually no issue.

Nico