[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 9.10 upgrade broke SPDIF

Robert Dyer psybers at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 07:54:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM, Doug Vaughan <r.d.vaughan at rogers.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>   I upgraded to 9.10 last weekend and also lost passthrough/spdif. I ended
> up solving it doing the following.
>   1) Purged pulseaudio

Thanks for the suggestion Doug.  I hadn't ran into issues with
PulseAudio before, but I went ahead and removed it this time around.

> 2) I had backed up before the upgrade and restored from the 9.04 backups:
>   > ~/.asoundrc
>   > /etc/init.d/alsa-utils
>   > /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
> 2) Through alsamixer made sure that:
>   > IEC958 was enabled and the volume was 100%
>   > Master was unmuted and at 100%

I verified ALSA's mixer settings were correct.

After doing this I noticed that VLC player works!  But *only* VLC
player... I cant get Myth, mplayer, or anything else to work.

Inside Myth, if I try to adjust the volume settings they seem stuck on
0!  I don't know if that is why I have no sound but it seems logical.
I can't seem to get Myth to set the volume to anything else.

Any ideas?

- Robert