[mythtv-users] direct usb-usb cable to replace usb-uirt

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Oct 30 14:51:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Marius Schrecker <marius at schrecker.org>
>  Does anyone know if the above can be done?
> My motorola stb will accept signals from an external usb-uirt, but it
> be great if I cold bypass this, and just send the signals directly over
> (maybe using an A-A usb network cable). Can't see rthis described
> but with the proliferation of htpc,s I can't be the first to have thought
> it.

It looks to me like the usb-uirt uses serial port emulation. So you need
something that can look like a serial port to the stb and you need to
emulate the protocol. It's not as simple as using one of the pre-made USB
networking cables. If such a thing exists, a USB null modem would likely
work, but you would need 2 USB clients in the hardware between the computer
and the stb. Using 2 FTDI USB to serial chips or cables wired in a null
modem configuration would likely get you talking, but you need to know the
protocol to transmit. There is an LIRC driver available, so there might be
enough info out there to do it.