[mythtv-users] How much video memory does the Acer Aspire Revo AR1600-U910H allow?

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 30 01:12:15 UTC 2009

Nick Morrott wrote:
> 2009/10/29 Gordon McCrae <gordon.mccrae at googlemail.com>:
>
>> I have the single core (R3600) and dual core (R3610) models; both show
>> 512Mb RAM in the X log. The total RAM in the machine is 1Gb.
>>

> I almost bought the R3600 from ebuyer the other day (£150), but am now
> glad I waited as I read about the dual core version. How quiet is the
> dual core version, and how much snappier in terms of speed compared to
> the single core version? What IR receiver are you using for your
> remote?
>
> The other piece of info I couldn't easily find was the specs for the
> memory modules, and how the 1GiB of memory in the R3600 is provided
> (i.e. 1x1GiB or 2x512MiB)? I'd prob want to upgrade to 2GiB if I buy a
> 1GiB variant, and would like to order the additional memory at the
> same time.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

I haven't noticed any additional noise level on the dual core version,
but then I'm not really pushing the box hard with MythTV.

With MythTV I haven't noticed any noticeable speed improvement on the
dual core, it's simply not capable of pushing the machine hard enough
(with my SD content anyway). At the end of the day, what parts of MythTV
frontend are multi threaded / multiprocess, I don't know enough about
how it's designed to know if it would actually take advantage of
additional cores.

I only bought the dual core boxes because:

1)   They were cheaper than the single core by £5.
2)   For desktop use, the additional core becomes useful, and I've
certainly seen that the usability in this area has improved noticeably;
my kids use the REVO with a wireless keyboard in the living room to
browse the net etc.

Also, the dual core box comes with SPIDF, which I understand will be a
bonus for some folks.

I haven't looked into the memory config, and probably won't until 1Gb
becomes a problem for me, which it certainly isn't at this point.

Cheers
Gordon