[mythtv-users] latest recommendation for VDPAU PCI card

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Tue Oct 27 08:31:00 UTC 2009

> With the soon to be released .22, I hope to move to a real video card.
>> Currently I'm using the TV-OUT of a PVR-350. What is the recommended
>> NVIDIA PCI card? Will I run into PCI bus saturation problems if I'm
>> running a PVR-150, PVR-350 and a video card all on the PCI bus?

The answer to your question is "Nvidia Geforce GT220". But something in your
phrasing makes me unsure if it's suitable for your system:

When you say "PCI" and refer to capture cards on the same bus, it sounds a
lot like you mean PCI in the classic sense, rather than the modern PCI
Express sense.

If you're running a legacy system with PCI slots + an AGP slot for graphics
(or even no graphics slot at all), you'll be out of luck. VDPAU is only
supported on quite recent nvidia cards, which all use PCIe.

If, on the other hand, your system is relatively newish and has PCI Express
slots, the answer to your question is the new GT220.

Classic PCI ports and PCI express ports don't share the same bus, so that
won't be an issue, so long as you have PCI express slots to use. Else, the
whole point is moot, because there are no graphics cards available which are
suitable.

If you don't know whether you have PCI Express ports, as a rough guide, they
were first released in 2004 and became standard in 2005. If using an Intel
processor, you probably have PCIe if it's a Pentium-D or later (Core, Core
2, Pentium Dual Core). If it's an AMD, I can't say off the top of my head.
Consult the manufacturers website/manual.

- Chris