[mythtv-users] OT: Comcast DTA to full digital subscription

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 22:34:20 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Dave Richardson <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
> Comcast (Chicago) is now moving some channels from the newly digitized
> analog programming (Expanded Basic) into the full digital subscriptions.
> I see the writing on the wall: "We're going to keep taking your content
> away until you move to a digital subscription".
>
> I currently get QAM (still) for the broadcast HD channels which I can
> continue to record on Myth 0.21 via the HDHomerun.  This helps keep the
> number of DTAs I need down (controls cost)
>
> QUESTION: If I take the bait and convert to fully digital Comcast, does
> anyone know if that affects what Comcast sends on the wire concerning QAM
> HD?  (i.e. can I still get local affiliates in HD QAM?)

Doubtful, It's more likely that every user in your block gets the same
exact feed regardless of what package they choose and encryption
selects what channels you can see. That is unless you have the lowest
analog package which probably means there is a filter at the
pole/exterior box blocking the "extended basic" package.

John