[mythtv-users] SheevaPlug for a master Backend?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 26 16:57:07 UTC 2009

On Monday 26 October 2009 10:30:29 Johnny wrote:
> > I haven't played with the SheevaPlug units, but I have done a lot of work
> > with the NSLU2s, which are very similar. The problem is the USB subsystem
> > is very slow, and using USB drives may result in inadequate preformance.
> >
> > The NSLU2 has no floating point unit, I'm not sure about the Sheeva, but
> > the lack of an FPU might also preclude some B/E functions.
> >
> > My guess is you want a somewhat beefier computer. The Sheeva looks
> > interesting, but very limited.
>
> I agree that the SheevaPlug would be insufficient for a standard
> backend. Although I would be interested in using one as a MBE that is
> diskless and tunerless. Then it is just on 24/7 to handle the
> scheduling, database, and to wake up a slave backend for recordings
> and other jobs.

The scheduler and the database are both fairly demanding tasks, or at least
can be at times.

The tunerless configuration is still unsupported, I believe, but some folks do
seem to be able to make it work.

Obviously commflagging and transcoding would be very slow on something like
the Sheeva, but you could do those tasks on other machines in your system.

It would be adding an additional level of complication to the system, for the
gain of some power savings. Whether it's worth it or not is of course up to
you.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org