[mythtv-users] SheevaPlug for a master Backend?

Jason Weida jason.m.weida at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 15:48:09 UTC 2009

I heard about the SheevaPlug back in Feb, and I thought that there would be
a *lot* of people on the list jumping on it.  It seems like it would be a
really good master backend if one uses an NAS or USB storage and an HDHR.
But only one mention of it on here that I could find, and some googling only
got me one site<http://computingplugs.com/index.php/Sheeva_Plug_as_a_MythTV_master_backend>that
had anyone actually using it (and he's using it to wake up a slave BE
during recording).

Is anyone doing this?  My setup is a MBE (old P4 1.3GHz w/ half gig of RAM
and 3 IDE drives), two Frontends, and an HDHR.  MBE is dedicated to Myth
only, I don't run a website or even use it as a print server, but it's on
24/7.  I've not had any issues with this setup.  Commercial flagging takes a
while, but for my viewing habits, it's not an issue.

With the release of 0.22, and an impeding HD TV purchase (when my CRT
finally goes out), I'm thinking of taking that opportunity to completely
re-design the Myth system.  Is there any reason I shouldn't get one of these
SheevaPlugs as my master backend (I'd like to reduce the power, noise and
clutter around my workspace)?  With no video support, is setting up
Mythbackend going to be difficult?  How about storage, do you think I could
use a USB hub with two USB hard disks (one small one for the OS/database,
and another large one for recordings)?  Obvously, the HDHR and MBE would be
connected through my router, as I currently have.  What am I missing?  11W
max draw sure sounds nice compared to probably >80W idle of my current
system!