[mythtv-users] Question about mythfilldatabase?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 25 17:27:29 UTC 2009

On 10/25/2009 10:05 AM, David Yoder wrote:
> Unfortunately, I won't have access to my myth box until I get back (I
> once had remote ssh turned on, but unfortunately some idiot managed to
> break into the box and run a few scripts on my box, so I've since
> locked the machine down tight once again).

I'm a huge fan of fwknop/SPA for that.  http://www.cipherdyne.org/fwknop/

My port 22 is closed until I send the right encrypted package to the
system.  Then, it dynamically opens port 22 for requests from the IP I
used for 30 seconds--just long enough to establish a TCP connection
(which will persist even after the port is blocked again).  It's amazing
how much smaller my btmp file is since switching.  I even use it for
dynamically forwarding port 443 to port 22 for 30 seconds when I'm at a
hotel with, "Free high-speed Internet," that closes all connections to
any ports other than 80 and 443--i.e. hotels that should advertise,
"Free high-speed web," as they're really attempting to block all non-web
Internet traffic.

Have fun at Disney (just down the road from here :).

Mike