[mythtv-users] Feature request: Decluttering known programs

John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Sat Oct 24 21:01:26 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/24/2009 11:48 AM, John Veness wrote:
>> Please see the page I created
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Known_program_feature and let me know what
>> you think. This is a request to add a feature where the user can
>> indicate that certain programs are 'known' to them. This can then be
>> used to alter the user-interface, to allow the user to toggle a view
>> to only show 'unknown' programs in the schedules.
>>
>> Every week as I trawl through my listings magazine, I've thought that
>> there should be a better way to hide all the programs that I already
>> know about, and the above link gives my suggestion on how to achieve
>> this in Myth.
>>
>> Note that I've deliberately tried to avoid calling this an 'ignore' or
>> 'hide' feature, as I don't want this to affect the scheduler ('known'
>> programs can still be recorded) or to hide programs from Watch
>> Recordings. This is just about creating a list of programs that the
>> user 'knows' about and having that gently and optionally affect the UI
>> in certain ways.
>
> Have you tried the Manage Recordings|Schedule Recordings|* Search
> functions in mythfrontend?  There's even one there that shows only new
> titles--those that haven't been seen in the listings for the last 11
> months.
>
> Pretty sure that does pretty much what you want--with the exception that
> it throws away titles after 11 months so that each holiday season you
> can see all the holiday specials listed again.
>
> Mike

Hi, yes I have seen the New Titles search, which is certainly along the
lines of what I'm looking for.

With my idea, I would have more control over what would appear in such a
filter. There may be programs that have been in the listings for years
but which I've never seen so don't know if I would like. With my
feature, such listings would show up until I manually removed them (e.g.
after I watched an episode to decide), but New Titles wouldn't show
those as they aren't new. There is no method to manually remove things
from New Titles (i.e. mark them as known), for example if I go through
half of it then revisit later.

Also, with my proposal, this would be a filter that could be applied to
other existing views, for example, Program Finder (if I want to browse
by program name but only show 'unknown' programs) or Search Listings,
Channels (if I want to browse by channel but only show unknown
programs), or Search Listings, Categories, etc.

Cheers,

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T