[mythtv-users] Skipping and time length messed up

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Oct 24 17:27:21 UTC 2009

On 10/24/2009 11:51 AM, Tim Ashman wrote:
> On Friday 23 October 2009 01:02:06 pm Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 10/23/2009 02:56 PM, Tim Ashman wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, I'll try that this weekend.  Is this rebuild function on the backend
>>> or is it a mysql script, and if so where would it be located.
>>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Repairing_the_Seektable
> I followed these instructions and was able to run the optimize command however
> the rest of the doc talks about fixing specific files.  My problem is that
> ever new recording has this problem so I think something else is going on.
>
> Do you have another suggestion.  Maybe I need to rebuild the entire database

If you had a crashed recordedseek MySQL table, then all new recordings
would have had missing/invalid seektables, so the optimize_mythdb.pl
would fix the recordedseek table, then all new recordings would get
proper seektables.  However, any recordings created while the table was
crashed would have missing/invalid data--and potentially any of the
recordings created before the crash could have lost data--so you'd have
to recreate the seektable (using mythtranscode --buildindex once each
for all MPEG-2 recordings or mythcommflag --rebuild for NUV files) for
any affected recording.

A new database won't help.  Dropping the recordedseek table and
recreating it (or, if you /must/ do the wrong thing, at least just
TRUNCATE the table), would be throwing out the baby with the
bathwater--you'd lose all good seektables at the same time.

If you don't care to determine which recordings are broken and would
rather max out your CPU for a couple days or so, just write a script
that runs mythtranscode --buildindex on every currently-existing recording:

for recording in /path/to/recordings/directory/*.mpg; do
  mythtranscode --mpeg2 --buildindex --allkeys \
                --showprogress --infile $recording
done

And repeat it for each directory in each storage group.

Mike