[mythtv-users] Hardware death - CPU vs motherboard?

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 12:51:48 UTC 2009

Not knowing you computer experience I assume the new RAM stick was
compatible with your MB; even ones that fit may not actually be compatible.

I have just had a quick look on ebay and replacement processors are only
20; shame it would take a week for it to arrive.

I would suggest removing and re-installing all components to re-seat the
connections; memory is particularly susceptible to this, but in tower cases
with large fans I have seen CPUs and PCI cards that need re-seating.

If that doesnt fix it I would remove all the components that you can which
are not strictly required for boot (tuners, additional memory over the
minimum, HDs - leaving just a CDRom for Live CD booting) - it could be
another component starting up and stealing all the power or another problem
or it could be a power supply problem - its a little unusual for the failure
to affect POST; but its worth a try.

After that I am at a loss I am afraid of how identify the issue without
parts for swapping out.

Thanks And Regards,

Richard Morton

www.pidgin.im - MSN & Yahoo Messenger and many great features but without