[mythtv-users] Is the GT220 the new chip of choice? (Idle power?)

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Oct 23 23:41:00 UTC 2009

On 23 Oct 2009, at 15:01, Ozzy Lash wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 2:30 AM, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
> > wrote:
>>
>> On 22 Oct 2009, at 20:29, Brad Templeton wrote:
>>>

>>> The idle power is a big deal for those who leave their front
>>> end on.
>>
>> Having to turn off cpu speed changes to keep VDPAU fed at full
>> bandwidth
>> negates any other benefits for me right now, I need to find where
>> in MythTV
>> to change the CPU speed profile when playback starts and then
>> revert it at
>> the end.
>>

> I thought the CPU speed scaling was only an issue on Integrated
> Graphichs motherboards, since the GPU shares the memory bus with the
> CPU, if the CPU turned down the clock speed, the GPU couldn't access
> the memory as fast.  Is it also an issue with Graphics cards?

Ah, maybe not applicable in my case!

I'd been having trouble with VDPAU being a bit lumpy and this was one
of the tweaks I'd seen mentioned on here, it seemed to make a
difference at the time. I've since upgraded to 190 drivers, RC1 and
upgraded my graphics card, 190 & RC1 made a massive difference, the
new card another big leap in quality and performance.

So I've re-instated ondemand and laptop-mode services and will see how
it all goes, playback has been entirely lump free so will soon see if
the lumpiness returns.

Thanks to Jarod too for the pointers but maybe they are not needed
after all.

Andre