[mythtv-users] Is the GT220 the new chip of choice? (Idle power?)

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Fri Oct 23 21:17:09 UTC 2009

On 23 Oct 2009 at 6:31, Brian Long wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
>
>     Doing some research, it appears a likely new chip of choice for a myth
>     box might be the nvidia gt220.  Cards (pcie only) can be had for
>     about $70, and a new fanless card has been announced by ECS but is
>     not for sale.
>
> Which specific card did you purchase? It would be interesting for you and Andre to post
> benchmark numbers to the wiki including if you purchased the DDR2 or DDR3 model and how
> fast your memory clock was running. I notice some of the clocks run at 800 or 1000MHz (DDR2)
> and others run at 1580MHz (DDR3).

I've wondered about the various offerings as well. From early reports, it looks
like the G210 cards are not quite powerful/fast enough for the most
demanding codecs, and the GT220 cards barely make it over the line, but I
don't expect there are very many of these cards in the hands of MythTV uses
yet.

This card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125295

pushes the core clock to 720 MHz, shader to 1566 MHz and the memory to
1600MHz. The more common clock numbers seem to be 625-650, 1360-ish,
and either 800 or 1000-1580 MHz. I wonder which numbers are important for
MythTV?

This card is not fanless, but the fan is huge, slow and (suposedly) quiet, and
you might be able to use an aftermarket passive cooler on it. Some of the
reviews say it overheats, but it would appear that the reason is lack of fan
control in the Windows drivers.

Marvin