[mythtv-users] A new theme on the way...

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 15:06:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Christopher Meredith
<chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 7:01 AM, David Asher <asherml at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Actually doesn't the DMCA expressly forbid removing the encryption from a
>> DVD even for your own purposes?  Of course, only in the US.
>
> While I was speaking mainly in terms of the Copyright Act and fair
> use, you bring up a good point. Not only does the DMCA forbid ripping
> DVDs you already own, it also forbids even *watching* them in Linux.

No the DMCA is very specific.  It forbids removing the encryption from
a DVD for the express purpose of circumventing the copyright.
Removing the encryption for other purposes is permitted, but not
defined.  Of coarse according to the MPAA, removing the encryption in
order to watch your DVD on anything but a authorized device (for
example: linux, iphone, etc.) is a copyright violation.  Most
consumers disagree.  This ambiguity has not been definitively defined
by the courts.