[mythtv-users] A new theme on the way...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 23 02:57:44 UTC 2009

On 10/22/2009 09:57 PM, Bill Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

>>> Yeah, I was confused.  It was the SFLC, not FSF.
>>>
>> Well even if the xml is forced into being GPL, surely the images aren't.
> Correct, they're served, not interpreted.

I can assure you that nothing is executing the XML in a MythTV theme and
the XML in a MythTV theme is not using "earlier-prepared information to
fill the templates for serving to the client."  Rather, the mythfrontend
(and to a smaller extend, the mythtv-setup) code is preparing
information and arranging it using the layout instructions from the
theme (more akin to the CSS in a wordpress theme).  There are no "calls
to [MythTV] functions [nor] sparse, minimal logic to control which
[MythTV] functions are accessed and how many times they will be called"
in the theme XML.  In short, "nothing in those [theme XML] files calls
any [MythTV] functions, is treated as a command by [MythTV], or alters
any other [MythTV] data structure."

Furthermore, the XML is interpreted no more than the HTML that's
interpreted by my GPL-compliant Minefield*** browser.  If a GPL
program's interpreting markup makes that markup GPL'ed, MS will be
/very/ upset with me for having visited their web site with my GPL'ed
browser.

Interpreting PHP for executing within a program licensed under the GPL
using API's created for and by that GPL'ed program as well as using
information passed to the PHP by the GPL'ed program for further
processing, however, is a whole other story.

Get the SFLC to say that MythTV themes must be GPL'ed and I might
believe it.  A second-hand re-interpretation of something else they said
doesn't carry the same weight.

This is my own personal opinion.  I am not a lawyer.

I'm sorry for replying to this thread that needs to die.  I will now
drop the subject.  I promise to say nothing more in this thread.

Mike

*** I didn't agree to the Firefox-trademark license, so I don't get to
use the Firefox name.