[mythtv-users] Transcoding my recordings down to AVI (DIVX?) format?

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Thu Oct 22 22:21:28 UTC 2009

Saw another thread here earlier and made me realize I should be converting
my recordings. I just checked the Transcoding page on the Wiki and I see
that it only transcodes to MPEG2 (unless I read it wrong). I am very noob
with mencoder/ffmpeg/etc. CLI conversion tools, I'm hoping someone could
give me a basic idea of how to take my recordings (all are analog/2ch/mpeg2,
no HD or nuffin) and convert them down to ~350mb/43m and ~175m/21m sizes,
preferrably using the xvid codec and avi format? Sure would save me having
to grab a new hd for a while, hehe.

I suppose I'm a bit confused as to whether to go CLI (and if so, what cmd(s)
to use), or set up some profiles in FE.

Thanks for any help
Bob