[mythtv-users] A new theme on the way...

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 19:09:20 UTC 2009

2009/10/22 Christopher Meredith <chmeredith at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Robert McNamara
>

> It's not an issue of ethics. It's an issue of fairness. If you're not
> protecting a proprietary interest and I'm not intruding upon a
> proprietary interest, what does it matter what I or anyone else does
> with it? It is fundamentally unfair to tell someone they can have
> something for "free," but they can't enjoy it as they please. It would
> be completely unreasonable for me to write a book and give it away
> with the condition that no one may read it in artificial light. If I
> give away a book, I would intuitively understand that the recipients
> to whom I make it available can do anything they want with it. They
> can write in it, mark it up, take out pages, even burn it if they
> want. That's what goes along with publicizing something. If I was so
> artistically sensitive that I could not bear the thought of someone
> "disrespecting" my unique artistic vision, it would be up to me to
> keep it to myself.

I am finding it hard to disagree with this entirely logical and eloquent
statement.

Another analogy would be that a famous artist (who could sell their artwork
for thousands) gives you a piece of art, they take it home and make
"improvements" with their kids painting set. Sure the artist
could/should/would be upset about these changes but the artist has no legal
recourse.

Further than that, I am no lawyer but I would expect that the artist
couldn't then stop the artwork from being sold on especially if the full
history of the artwork is fully disclosed - they may have the right to stop
reproductions of the altered artwork. This seems similar to the music
sampling permissions and royalties.