[mythtv-users] Lossless remux ISO to MKV for .22 video storage groups

Joel Means means.joel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 17:32:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
> For those of you who want to set up video storage groups in .22, but
> are being held back by the ISO limitations, I found a really simple
> program that will remux the video, audio, and subtitles from an ISO
> into an MKV container without re-encoding any of streams. It is called
> MakeMKV. I am not associated with them, and only used for the first
> time yesterday. It is free as in beer. They intend to roll the
> Blu-ray/HD-DVD support into a shareware version but the DVD portion
> will always be free.
>
> You can get the Linux source and install instructions here:
> http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224. It is really a
> one trick pony, you just pick your ISO, pick the titles, audio, and
> subtitles you want, and pick where to save. There aren't really
> anymore settings: http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/. I have only done
> 2 DVD ISO files but each only took a couple of minutes and everything
> worked great and played back in mythtv fine.

I recently used this to remux my entire iso collection to mkv.  I
wrote a little script to ease use of the commandline version of
makemkv so that I could batch process my few hundred iso's.  The
script is below.  I named it iso2mkv on my system.  You can then go
into a directory of iso's and do a "for movie in *.iso; do iso2mkv
${movie}; done" to process all of them.  Hope this helps someone.
Joel

#!/bin/bash

if [ "${1}" = "" ]; then
   echo "You must provide an iso file as an input file"
   exit 1
fi

if [ ! "`echo ${1} | grep -o ".iso"`" = ".iso" ]; then
   echo "You must provide an iso file as an input file"
   exit 1
fi

INFILE="${1}"
MOVIE=`basename "${INFILE}" .iso`
DIRNAME="${PWD}/`dirname \"${INFILE}\"`"
OUTFILE="${MOVIE}.mkv"

echo "converting ${INFILE} to ${OUTFILE}"

/usr/bin/makemkvcon mkv iso:"${DIRNAME}/${MOVIE}.iso" 0 "${DIRNAME}" > /dev/null
mv "${DIRNAME}"/title00.mkv "${DIRNAME}/${OUTFILE}"