[mythtv-users] New 50" Plasma, setting Myth for it?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 13:19:00 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/10/21 Steve Curtis <scurtis at fixation.net>:

> Judder is a big problem.  I have a Pioneer screen running at 1920x1080.  I
> have always had a slight amount of judder playing back HD rips using
> mplayer.  It's most noticeable on long panning shots where I get a
> slight-mili-second pause every second.  I've never been able to figure it
> out, the screen supports 50hz and 60hz, whats the best setting to apply for
> playing back Blue Ray rips?  As far as I can tell you can set the refresh
> rate in xorg.conf and the mplayer config file but I've always been unsure of
> what to use?  Any pointers appreciated...

It's likely your TV supportes 24Hz, most recent full HD TVs do.

In MythTV, go into Setup -> Appearance
Check the "use different resolution for GUI and playback"

Set both size to 1920x1080 and leave the refresh rate to "any" ;
mythtv will now change automatically to whatever refresh rate match
the video being played best.

If your TV only reports 60 and 50Hz, and not 24Hz (you can check in
nvidia-settings, assuming you use a nvidia card, in mythtv go with the
arrow key through the list of available rates).
If not, try this xorg.conf modelines
http://www.avenard.org/media/Patches_%26_Add-Ons/Entries/2008/9/5_xorg.conf_and_specific_refresh_rates.html

Maybe your TV will work with those