[mythtv-users] The "right" way for non-dev users to test 0.22 RC1?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 00:40:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 October 2009 18:49:55 Robert McNamara wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Bob Cunningham <FlyMyPG at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'm at the end of Section 3, and am running "yum-builddeps mythtv" now.
>> >  I've never used this command before, and was surprised that "yum install
>> > mythtv" didn't catch all the dependencies.
>> >

>> You should speak to your packager about this, as the above command
>> installs build dependencies, not runtime ones.
>
> I don't follow. What was the problem here? If you want _build deps_ of
> mythtv, you run 'yum-builddep mythtv'. If you want the runtime, you
> simply 'yum install mythtv'. How is that confusing? What am I missing?

(Have already followed up with Jarod offlist, but just for the record)

Wasn't suggesting package management was to blame here, was suggesting
that the above command installed the build dependencies and not the
runtime ones, and that it was therefore likely unnecessary.  What I
meant was if some runtime dep was missed, or was somehow only
obtainable by getting the build dependencies, that it would be an
issue of package management.

Robert