[mythtv-users] nVidia ION motherboards - Single- or Dual-Core?

Patrick Oglesby octoberblu3 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 21:09:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:38 PM, david <david at functionalchaos.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:06:03 -0500, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Phil Bridges
>> <gravityhammer at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> The wife and I are planning on getting a large (most-likely 1080P)
>>> flatscreen for ourselves for Christmas.  Rather than add a full-sized
>>> frontend, I'd like to try net-booting one of the ION boards.  I'd like
>>> it to be as quiet as possible, so I'm leaning towards the fanless
>>> single-core.  Does the extra horsepower of the dual-core model get
>>> utilized under Myth?
>>>

>> As a frontend, no.  With VDPAU, a single core Atom is more than enough.
>>
>> Kevin
>

> Thanks for the feedback, I am interested in this information as well.  How
> about Hulu and Hulu Desktop?  Do they work well on the atom single or dual
> core frontends?
>
> David

Any flash based program is currently not accelerated at all on the
GPU.  Hulu, Hulu Desktop, and Youtube are slow and choppy even on full
power CPUs.  I can't image them running well at all on an Atom.

But, there is talk of Adobe getting hardware acceleration in flash
sometime soon.
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200910/100509AdobeandnVidia.html

- Patrick