[mythtv-users] New 50" Plasma, setting Myth for it?

David Knight dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Oct 20 20:10:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, October 20, 2009 1:02 pm, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/10/20 Bruce Nordstrand <brucen at ksl.com.au>:
>> � I'm running a Panasonic Viera 42PX80B
>>> (native resolution of 1368x768).
>> I've set my X config to output in 1080p which
>>> is then downscaled by the
>> TV.
>>
>> From my xorg.conf -
>>
>> SubSection "Display"
>>
>> #
>>> 1080p 720p 480p
>> Depth 24
>> Modes "1920x1080_60" "1280x720_60"
>>> "720x480_60"
>> EndSubSection
>> Excellent, thanks Dave. I'll try that out when the unit arrives....
>> Should
>> have been today but they stuffed up delivery :(
>

> I personally think that this is not a good advice, plus as an
> Australian resident those mode don't apply for you.
>
> Setting your screen to 1080i, means your mythfront will be upscaling
> whenever you watch SD content, then your TV downscales to fit in its
> screen.
> Second, you're in Australia, it's 50Hz, there's no broadcast of 720p
> nor 480 lines content.
>
> If you want simplicity and not have to worry about anything, configure
> your PC to output 720p. The TV will handle everything the way it
> should with minimal loss of information/quality.
>
> If you want to let mythtv do more work and probably give you a  slight
> edge quality wise, find the right modeline to output the native
> resolution of your panel: 1368x768 , actually I would first try
> 1360x768 as it's nicely a multiple of 16 (perfect for mpeg2)
>
> JY

Now you have my attention :)

I have the manual for my TV in front of me an maybe I was wrong about the
native resolution. In the Specifications it lists the Number of Pixels as
786,432 (1,024 (W) x 768 (H)) [3,072 x 768 dots].

It also has a VGA input which I used in the past and HDMI (currently
using). The VGA table has several mode lines (I will just list the
1024x768 upwards):

1024x768 @60Hz, 1024x768 at 70Hz, 1024x768 at 75Hz, 1024x768 at 85Hz
1280x1024 @60Hz, 1366x768 @60Hz.

HDMI table supports 720/60p/50p, 1080/60i/50i/60p/50p/24p

Back in the specifications table again it says:

PC Signals = VGA, SVGA, XGA or SXGA(compressed)

So I take it my native resolution is 1024x768? if this is so would I be
best using the VGA input with a 1024x768 modeline rather than the HDMI
input?

Many Thanks

Dave K.