[mythtv-users] New 50" Plasma, setting Myth for it?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 12:02:35 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/10/20 Bruce Nordstrand <brucen at ksl.com.au>:
>   I'm running a Panasonic Viera 42PX80B
>> (native resolution of 1368x768).
> I've set my X config to output in 1080p which
>> is then downscaled by the
> TV.
>
> From my xorg.conf -
>
> SubSection "Display"
>
> #
>> 1080p 720p 480p
> Depth 24
> Modes "1920x1080_60" "1280x720_60"
>> "720x480_60"
> EndSubSection
> Excellent, thanks Dave. I'll try that out when the unit arrives.... Should
> have been today but they stuffed up delivery :(

I personally think that this is not a good advice, plus as an
Australian resident those mode don't apply for you.

Setting your screen to 1080i, means your mythfront will be upscaling
whenever you watch SD content, then your TV downscales to fit in its
screen.
Second, you're in Australia, it's 50Hz, there's no broadcast of 720p
nor 480 lines content.

If you want simplicity and not have to worry about anything, configure
your PC to output 720p. The TV will handle everything the way it
should with minimal loss of information/quality.

If you want to let mythtv do more work and probably give you a  slight
edge quality wise, find the right modeline to output the native
resolution of your panel: 1368x768 , actually I would first try
1360x768 as it's nicely a multiple of 16 (perfect for mpeg2)

JY