[mythtv-users] Need new Capture card...

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 21:00:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Ken Bass <kbass at kenbass.com> wrote:
> I just visited http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page and never saw
> those pages.
>
> To me, I would never thought to have looked under ATSC. I am too far from
> any OTA ATSC signals so that is a genre that I ignore. However those cards
> you list are much more than ATSC.
>
> Personally, I think each of those links should be from the main page where
> it says
> 'Video via PCI'
> 'Video via PCIe'
> 'Video via USB'

The reality is that most people don't know what ATSC or QAM are, let
alone fully understand the differences between digital and analog
signals.  The LinuxTV wiki certainly is geared toward people who have
read the introductory pages more so than people jumping in looking for
a specific piece of information.

The problem is compounded by the fact that the Wiki is being merged
with the V4L wiki (which was analog capture only).

Unfortunately, I'm not confident we can really create the categories
you described, unless you're (presumably being in the United States)
are willing to see every PCI device available worldwide for a variety
of international video standards.  That's why we have subcategories,
and the top level categories happen to be associated with the video
standard rather than the bus type.

Like most things, we're always looking for volunteers to help work on
the LinuxTV Wiki content.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller